Walton Court, Oysterhaven, Kinsale, Co. Cork
A delightful Georgian country house with magnificent sea views and direct access to Oysterhaven Bay
- Cork International Airport 20 minutes
- Kinsale 10 minutes
- Historic property dating from 1776
- Water and beach frontage of 200 metres with direct access to Oysterhaven Bay
- c. 5 acres adjoining waterfront land with a number of outbuildings and staff accommodation offering further development potential
- Commercial kitchen and guest bar
- Award winning caf/restaurant
- Swimming pool
- Courtyard of five guest cottages & apartments
- Second adjoining gated courtyard of seven two storey mews houses (built 2006)
The house has bright, spacious and well proportioned rooms, arranged over three floors, with the principal rooms enjoying breath taking and unspoilt views of Oysterhaven Bay.
The entrance to the house is approached via stone steps rising to the front door. There is an attractive and spacious entrance hall with antique French limestone tiled floor, underfloor heating and delightful staircase rising to the first floor.
Doors lead off the principal reception rooms, including the generous drawing room and dining room with full height sash windows with shutters, hard wood floors, centrally positioned Adam marble fireplaces and intricately detailed ceiling cornices. To the rear of the house is a charming breakfast room with pantry.
There is a commercial kitchen with access to the gardens and an air conditioned conservatory with views over the courtyard. On the first floor landing there is a library with wonderful views over the bay.
The bedroom accommodation in the main house is arranged over two floors. The master bedroom suite is a well portioned room with a central French marble fireplace and ensuite bathroom. There are two further bedroom suites with views to Oysterhaven Bay and the orchard and gardens. On the second floor there are three attic style bedrooms with a kitchen and sitting room/play area, ideal for staff accommodation.
The lower courtyard has five self-catering cottages/apartments, which have been carefully restored to give a peaceful country warmth with exposed stone walls and beams. There is a conference/cinema room, award winning Courtyard Caf, indoor pool and various store rooms.
Cloakroom / WC
Verandah Dry store
Hall/library with views to Oysterhaven Bay
Master bedroom suite
Two guest bedroom suites
Three attic bedrooms, one en-suite
Additional shower room
Sitting room area
Five self-contained cottages and apartments.
Award winning Cafe
Gardens and kitchen herb garden
Gardens and grounds
Lawns leading down to Oysterhaven Bay
Two staff cottages
Wild flower gardens and small wooded area
200 m water frontage to Oysterhaven Bay
c. 5 acres water frontage land to the West of the main house
Second adjoining gated courtyard of seven two storey mews houses (built 2006) each 98 sq m with 14 secure parking spaces
OYSTERHAVEN AND KINSALE
Walton Court is situated in an idyllic position on the edge of Oysterhaven Bay, enjoying delightful sea views. On the Wild Atlantic Way, the property is located just 9km (6miles) from the picturesque, fishing and tourist town of Kinsale, which is widely regarded as the Gourmet Capital of Ireland, voted 2018 'Foodie Town of Ireland'. With its many bars, restaurants and tourist attractions, numerous primary and secondary schools the locality provides all the requirements of everyday living.
County Cork now boasts four Michelin Star restaurants, with an additional number of highly acclaimed restaurants in the area.
The golf enthusiast is well catered for with excellent nearby golf clubs such as Kinsale Golf Club and the world class Old Head Gold Links nearby.
Kinsale coast offers a multitude of water sports for the energetic such as sailing, windsurfing and boating. The keen angler can avail of the many fine spots for fishing along the coast and also the Bandon river. Walton Court is well placed for those who enjoy horse riding with many equestrian centres located in the area and for hunting locally Kinsale lies in the centre of the South Union Country. Communications are excellent with Cork International Airport offering international and domestic air services. Cork City is just 28km (18miles) with its wide range of shops, shopping centres, boutiques, restaurants, primary and secondary schools.
Walton Court is an Irish Georgian country house dating from 1776 and incorporating a fortified tower house from 1576.
A unique historic property overlooking idyllic Oysterhaven Bay, steeped in three centuries of history and intrigue; it was home to the colourful Walton family for more than 300 years.
The earliest recorded family history of Walton Court dates from 1576, when the original fortified Tower House, stable courtyard and 1000 acre farm estate were in the ownership of the Roche family of Norman origin, who first came to the area in 1167.
In 1642 James Oge Roche was executed for treason and the small tower house overlooking Oysterhaven Bay and surrounding land is subsequently recorded in the Down Survey as being in the ownership of a David Barry.
Walton Court House, estate cottages and 297 plantation acres were later forfeited to the English Crown and the 1659 Census of the 'Barony of Kinnelea in the Parish of Kinure' shows the property in the ownership of Captain Swithin Walton.
In 1776 his son and heir Thomas Walton remodelled the house in the Georgian style, with stonemason George Keane employing 100 local men to cut the distinctive ashlar stone blocks now facing the house. The fortified courtyard and the original tower house were incorporated into the modernisation. Robert Walton, a descendent and brother of Helena (n. Hosford) Walton emigrated to the United States, where he was one of the founders of the Rugby Commune in Tennessee, building a wooden 'replica' of Walton Court in 1881.
The Walton family archives and historical documents show that they were a colourful family, relying on smuggling brandy and silk from France to Ireland for their living, outrunning the English coastguard cutters in and out of the many local bays and inlets.
Archives also show the Walton's involved in the relief effort during the Great Famine, distributing produce from the then farm estate and bread from the estate bakery, now restored as a cottage in the old courtyard.
The house later passed to the Cork merchant banking family of Sir Thomas Roberts through marriage. Shortly following the death of his wife Lady Amy Roberts in 1806, Sir Thomas (1st baronet 1738-1814) of Britfieldstown Estate, Robert's Cove, County Cork, then aged 68, unexpectedly married Anne, daughter of Thomas Walton. Lady Anne went on to have two children. a daughter and a son, Thomas Walton Roberts. Thomas Walton Roberts, after a series of family feuds and intriguing historical twists and turns, went on to inherit the Glassenbury Estate, seat of Jane, Duchess of St. Albans' and Walton Court, Oysterhaven. When he came of age in 1830, Thomas Walton Roberts left Oysterhaven for Glassenbury and never returned. He never married.
The dowager Lady Anne Roberts lived at Walton Court until her death, followed by cousins of Thomas, from the Knolles family at nearby Oatlands Cross, now sadly demolished. Subsequent owners have included an eccentric Church of Ireland minister Reverend Harold Hadden, whose obsession with the Walton legend of smugglers tunnels under the property led him to map and excavate the land in search of buried treasure, a retired Irish tea planter from India, and two colourful retired Catholic Priests from Glasgow, who ran the local bar at Walton Court.
MODERN TIMES - RESTORATION
An ambitious ten year restoration project of the derelict house, stable courtyard and gardens began in 1996 with artisans from Ireland, Wales, Switzerland, England and Belgium working on the project using traditional materials, many reclaimed from now sadly lost great houses of Ireland and beyond.
The result is an eclectic mix of old and new, preserving the eccentricity and atmosphere of the old estate so loved by families, guests and friends.
Walton Court House is listed as a building of local and national historical importance, and is catalogued as one of the historic houses of Ireland, with the sympathetic and painstaking restoration attracting comment from the Irish Georgian Society, Society for the Preservation of Ancient Buildings and Cork County Council planners.
The distinctive stone frontage of the house carries the inscription T.W. 1776 below the gable which was added by Thomas Walton following his Georgian modernisation. The Walton family crest bears the motto 'Oemnia Vincit Amor' or 'Love Conquers All'
Follow the link below for video footage of the property